Saturday, June 1, 2019

The Keynote Cafe Has Been My Laboratory.


I've conducted many sound experiments on this stage, in the form of song, musical pieces, performance including dance, even pieces of an opera I wrote based on Aleister Crowley. Some people got the wrong idea about me, but that's all right - I'm not sure myself what the right idea about me would be.

I don't look for successes or failures in my songs, they are calculated to eliset a reaction from ME, to be a remembrance of some imaginary realm. 

It's a two way street up here. When a song is played, you observe me and I observe you. We are together in this experiment. The only difference between us is this; I initiate the experience, I create your reaction, or lack thereof. That's my job. And my very real passion is observing the results.

I purposely try to play against expectations, against labels, against pre-conceptions. I know how most people react to popular songs, and it bores me spectacularly. It is only the NEW SONGS that create original reactions. Only then can we compare the people we have been with the people we are becoming.

Thank you, Keynote Cafe, thank you Jill Sorrels, the hardest working woman in show business, thank you all the great musicians I've worked with. But mostly THANK YOU to every person who has ever been in a Keynote audience. You are my lab rats.



No comments:

Post a Comment